Thursday, July 16, 2009

Make A Joyful Noise - Finish Part 1, Start Part 2


This is it…finally finished (with minor adjustments after it dries). If you recall back in my blog post of June 13, 2009, I gave the history of this piece. I witnessed this powerful event in 1992 and decided that someday I would attempt to paint it. I did a piece from memory last year and titled it “Reconciliation;” it did not reflect, for me, what I had in mind. It did; however, serve the purpose of conveying the message that Hawaiians turned from their gods and goddess of old to accept the one Christian God. I stumbled on the negatives of the photos, which I couldn’t believe I still had, developed them to be used as reference…coming up with what you see above.


“Reconciliation”
18x24 oil on stretched canvas
Available for sale

Now, moving on to part 2 of this diptych…here is the start.


That day on the rim of Halema’uma’u there were about 30 dancers, so you can just imagine the power that emanated from the chanters and dancers …SPECTACULAR. These three dancers symbolize those 30 dancers. The pose is in praise of the Almighty, their features are of myself and my sisters. In searching photos for features for the dancers, I thought why not use our features…we were, after all, hula dancers from the time we were kids into adulthood. Using our features, I thought, would make it extra special…a family heirloom…maybe!!

A little story behind that… growing up, it was expected that young Hawaiian girls learn to dance the hula. My Auntie Hilda was recruited for that job and was a tough taskmaster. There were five of us…four girls and one boy. The boy was the youngest (poor kid) and I was the youngest of the four girls. My older sisters were ruthless and harassed me constantly about my dancing ability. So much so that I grew to hate the hula, and vowed to develop into a better dancer than any of them were. Whether I was able to accomplish that would be a matter of opinion among the four of us.

I don't want to bore you with the progress, so I will post this painting again when totally completed, unless I hear from someone to the contrary.

Aloha until next time.

7 comments:

  1. Reading the story behind the painting makes it doubly interesting - I love the first stage and the second is going to be just as beautiful. This is going to be an impressive piece when hung. I really love the way you did the 'greenery'!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deb...thank you for commenting. It's always nice to get a positive comment on one's work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lokelani, You have some beautiful paintings on your blog, couldnt pick a favourite, as they are all so beautiful, you are a very clever lady

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Julie. I've browsed your blog and you have wonderful work displayed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aloha Auntie Loke! I love your blog site and your paintings. Especially, the ones depicting your sisters. When i started reading your bio i was offended and i will tell you why. First off I don't know if you wrote the bio or someone for you, since it is written that way, but here goes: Yes, we are related to Ali'i of Hawaii, which there are many, but the famous Navigating King Mo'ikeha is not a name that is "meaningless today", ask any Kumuhula or historian of Hawaii and they all know very well who you are speaking of. I don't want any of your readers thinking this way, because our Kupuna Mo'ikeha had a son named La'amaikahiki and who brought to Hawaii the 'temple drums'. Never before in Hawaii. This is very significant to hula and hula is not just another dance. It is the most stunning and meaningful of all of polynesian dances. Hula documents the history of Hawaii, its enviornment and its people. It is poetry in motion. So La'a brought the temple drums to Hawaii and taught the those hulas that go with them. Some believe that Laka, who is an important god of the hula was really, La'a, but that over the years names were changed as dialects change. I know Auntie you understand how important this is to Hawaii. There is a chant that is known by every Kumuhula(hula teacher). It is 'Eia Hawaii', also known as 'the Mo'ikeha' chant. Kamahualele, Mo'ikeha's astrologer/seerer, chanted this apon their arrival for the first time to Hawaii. A very significant chant that is still used today.
    THE NAME MO'IKEHA CAN BE DESCRIBED AS ONE WHO FOLLOWS A COURSE OF ACTION, TO MASTER SPIRITUAL KNOWLEDGE, TO ATTAIN GREAT HEIGHTS, TO OVERCOME OBSTICLES AND SUFFERING..Ka Heke O Na Pua...the greatest of his decendents. I carry this name with great pride and for the reader who doesn't know Hawaii, a name is never forgotten.....God Bless you, Auntie Loke and all who took the time to read this long comment!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Please, lovely people, remember every time you see one of my Auntie Loke's beautiful paintings depicting a 'pahu' (drum) in it, how it first came to Hawaii. By way of her family, our Kupuna from long ago and the significance of it...me ke aloha, Kumu Mo'ikeha

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mo'ikeha...thanks so much for posting here. In my profile I mention how it is my heritage that I draw on for my subjects. Me Ke Aloha

    ReplyDelete